infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti Cars) > Infiniti Q40, Q50, Q60 and G Forums > Infiniti G25 / G35 / G37 Coupe and Sedan Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: I need your opinion…should I trade an A4 for a G37X sedan?

Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 AM

Default I need your opinion…should I trade an A4 for a G37X sedan?

I am a long time Audi guy (have an S5 and A4) but lately I have been wanting to trade in my 2006 A4 for another sedan that's sportier…don't want an S4 for two reasons:
1- I already have an S5
2- I don't want to spend more than $25K on a low mileage sport sedan so that takes out most German cars.

The only other car that catches my eye is the Infinity G. I test drove one yesterday G37X and LOVED IT! So my question is, how reliable is the G37X sedan because when I go to cars.com and put in a search for a G37X sedan within 30 miles, a WHOLE BUNCH (at least 20) come up for 2009/2010 model year (what I am looking at), in the 30 to 40K mile range and around $25K. I am a little worried that there are so many in that same range, and whenever I do the same search criteria for an A4 (just to compare), only about 6 show up for A4 in the vicinity. I am just wondering if there are any issues with the G that so many trade them in around that 30 to 40K mileage?
I thought why not come to the forum and hear it straight from the people that love their G's. The G37X sedan will be my commuter car that I am looking to keep well beyond after paying it off so reliability and low maintenance (compared to Audi maintenance pricing) is very important. An example would be an Audi A4 major factory maintenance of 75K miles is well over $1300 due to the belt replacement.
Anyway, please let me know if a G37X sedan (remember I am looking specifically at the G37X sedan and not a 2WD) would be a good bet to trade in an A4; I am looking for something that is reliable down the road and not as bad on the factory maintenance cost (i.e. 30K, 60K, 90K since every 30K is usually the big bucks maintenance). Give me the good, the bad and the ugly.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM

I like my 2011 G37x and have had no issues with it whatsoever. I take it in for it's regular oil change and I am good to go. I wouldn't steer you away from one but I have no experience with the earlier models. It drives nice, has a good exhaust note and looks great.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:36 PM

The G37x sedan is a great car. It's got far more power than an A4, and you get a whole lot of options that you wouldn't get in a more expensive german car. From what I've heard, they're more relaible than the more expensive sports cars as well. I think it's just the fact that there are more out there. Might be lots of them off lease at that mileage simply becasue more people can afford to get into one.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 AM

I'm in a similar situation as AudiS5. I have an 09 328i coupe and the warranty will be up soon so I'd prefer to trade it in for a much more reliable car. Nothing drives like a German car and nothing breaks like one either. My car has stayed at the dealership overnight 4 times in 2.5 years. Luckily BMW's warranty is great but it's inconvenient especially when my last car (Acura TL) only spent the night at the dealership because I had a new clutch put in and couldn't get to the dealership in time to pick it up.

I'd rather pick up a used 2011/12 G37x and spend some of the money I save on the elite extended warranty and some run flats (I know I know but I've grown to love them for 2.5 years and they've saved me time and energy on a few occasions, plus cornering is so much better). I've heard and read about the tranny lag/flare/confusion issues and I had similar problems with my bimmer. A reprogram/reflash/reset/new ECU typically addresses this. It's a trend I've seen with a few cars that have 6+ gears and automatic transmissions.

If anyone can provide any insight on what to look out for such as electrical issues, sound system issues, warranty issues, engine/tranny problems (aside from that mentioned above), paint issues (prone to chipping and detailing suggestions) or any other issues I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry to jack your thread AudiS5. Woohoo! First Post!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM

My first time posting in here but this is the perfect thread for me to post and reply in. I actually had a 2005 Audi A6 SLine 4.2L Quattro...that car was sexy and fast. Very hard to find as well, it was fully loaded too. Once I hit 90,000 miles, I had so many problems with that car and I knew that the minute it would hit 100k miles, I was gonna be screwed big time. There was a lot of signs towards that too - biggest mistake I did was not get an extended warranty. So I spent pretty much about 5 months looking around for cars and nothing was comparing to my Audi in terms of speed, handling & smoothness. I looked at everything from BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Nissan, Range Rover, etc etc you get the idea - Infinity was the last car I drove. I fell in love with the M37x but it was pricey for it when I can get a german car for the price so I found a 2011 fully loaded G37x black on black for 6k miles and I scored it at 32k. I stole the car! This was the only car I test drove that was faster than my audi which really pleased me...and the mileage isn't much of a difference...maybe like 2 miles per gallon. I personally don't mind that at all. I know this car is extremely reliable...It's japanese not german. The first time I took it in for service I can't tell you how happy I was to spend $60 bucks for oil change & tire rotation rather than $150 bucks at Audi. Plus, I had to change my oil every 1 or 2 months at Audi bc of the type of engine in my A6. It was ridiculous, too expensive and too much maintenance.

Anyway, it's a much sportier ride than Audi but it does handle VERY well. It's not smooth like Audi, but that's the point in a sports car. And I think for that reason alone, your gonna have less problems. The navigation is better than Audi's as well, and it has bose sound system just like Audi. I think infiniti is the closest you can yet as an Audi fan. The only things I miss is the smoothness in Audi but it's worth it in the end when you consider everything else, and it's a lot of fun using this car to speed too. I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 AM

By the way - I forgot to mention something - you got the factory warranty basically up until 4 years or 60k miles...you know that you can always get an extended warranty anytime u want before your warranty is up, and it's actually cheaper that way supposedly because they want to sell it to you and make some extra money somehow. My brother had infiniti G35 coupe for about few years...all the way up to 100k miles. He never did anything major maintenance to it like what we would have done to our audi more than once. He only sold it to get his dream bmw (which in the end ended up selling after one year after spending 8k on repairing transmission...ouch).

Tags
g37, g37x, reliability