infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: Telematics recall?

Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Telematics recall?

Called to schedule an oil change and tire rotation and was told our 15 80 has an open recall. I inquired as to what the recall was and was told it was a telematics recall but upon checking was done in April. I don’t remember seeing any notes of this on any paperwork.
Any of you guys know what this recall is/was? I didn’t get anything from Infiniti either.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

https://www.infinitiusa.com/recalls-vin/#/#/Home

there's where you can input your VIN to see if you need it done.

you can contact nissan/infiniti corporate affairs and inquire what it is.

telematics is in regards to the data connection. I think this deals with the US no longer using 2G networks and this system uses 2G to connect to the servers.

Quote:

Your car's TCU (Telematic Control Unit) communicates cellular voice comms and GPS information to the Infiniti mothership for concierge and tracking purposes. If you subscribe to their Infiniti Connection services, this information helps them locate you and provide services or directions as requested via cellular radio.

The 2G security issues the recall talks about are real as 2G security has long been exploited by hackers due to the A5/1 and A5/2 stream cyphers not being very robust. 3G and 4G have much tighter security, reducing the possibility of hacking.

If you don't use Infiniti's Connection services you should go ahead and have this taken care of.

nissan/infiniti sent this out via email/snail mail. if you purchased your car used, this may be why you did not get any direct info from nissan.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 AM

We bought the car new. Didn't do the upgrade before since it wasn't working correctly. Rarely used the service when we had it as complimentary so we didn't renew.

Ran vin. No open recalls. Confirmed with tech here. Not sure why the scheduler told me that. Seems like they always have their wires crossed here. This is last oil/filter service of my prepaid package. Likely wonÂ’t bring to them again unless itÂ’s a warranty service.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

Its not technically an upgrade. Its deactivating the 2G service.

I DO think there is an uppgrade to 3G, but that is not what the recall is about. The 3G upgrade is a cost feature and yearly service.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Yes the upgrade to 3g is what i was referring to. They last offered that as a combo with the map upgrade. Map upgrade is pathetic. Zero changes for any areas i drive and there is a freeway that has been open for almost 5 years that doesn’t even show on the latest upgrade.