View Full Version : Mechanics can't get my water pump to move on my Infiniti I30 to replace the belts.?

programmer_va
01-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Has anyone ever replaced the accessory belts on an Infiniti I30? Or have you experienced this issue on another vehicle. I'm trying to figure out if I need to be worried about them fixing my car.

silverbullet
01-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Never worked on an Infiniti.

That said, I've never heard of having to move a water pump when changing belts. Usually a water pump is firmly bolted to the block, well underneath all belts and pulleys.

mrharris32
01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
You don't need to worry about anything. The water pump is a static unit, meaning it does not move...it is firmly attached to the engine block and it does not need to be removed to install a new belt. This is assuming of course you're having the belt replaced because it's bad, not because it snapped due to the water pump seizing.

If it's just the belt it's a matter of using the "belt tensioner" pulley to release/add tension to the new belt. It takes 10 minutes max to do this, if they're skilled at all it should be closer to 2-5 minutes...gives you an idea of how simple it is and how low cost the replacement should be.

If your water pump is seized (pulley on the pump won't rotate) and the belt broke because of it you're entering a new ball game all together. At minimum the pump will have to be replaced, if the car overheated you need to have a compression test run to ensure the engine head did not warp.

Hope this helps!