View Full Version : My mom wants to give me her Infiniti i30 for my first car but i want a...

-BG-
10-24-2009, 09:43 AM
...Ford focus zx3? I've had my license for almost a year now and next month I'm turning 17. My mom wants to pass me down her 2000 infinit i30 which only has 117k on it. Its a nice car but I'm more concerned about mpg. I have almost $2,000 saved up from a job i got a couple of months ago and i really like the ford focus zx3 because it has a sporty look and get good mpg because its only a 4 cylinder. What do you think I should do? And also, what is a good mpg to you? I have been driving my dads Toyota tundra everywhere for the past year and I'm tired of wasting my money on gas in that so i know how costly gas can get.

THANKS!

anonysquirrel
You should be thankful for whatever is given to you. Drive the infiniti until you have saved enough money to buy what you want.

don r
The Tundra and the Infinity are from different planets in different galaxies. The $2000 you have is a drop in the bucket. If you want the Ford badly enough to turn down having a car that's better in every way, buy the Focus. If it was me, I'd take the Infinity and put the money in the bank.

lotusflower007
your very lucky to have parents to want to give that to you. You must come from a family that makes good money. The ford focus is a pos,
if your mom's okay with it, sell the infiniti, and combine that with your $2000 a buy a car that has good gas mileage like a honda civic.

SPORTS CAR FIEND !!!!!!!!
10-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Dont i repeat dont ,buy a ford,you will end up spending all your money in repairs,because ford is a pile of crap with piss poor reliabilty,and extremely cheap parts that break easily,Anything over 20 miles to the gallon is reasonable to me,Do this take the infiniti cause not to many kids drive luxury cars, baby it,and continue saving you can also trade in the 130 to save you alot of money for your next car and you already have enough $ to buy a used civic,wich has great mpg(4cyl)super low maintenance and is one of the most reliable cars in the world.

i30guy
10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
I used to work at a ford dealer. The focus' were always in for $$$$ repairs. Cats, trannys, etc. I work for Nissan and I will say that the I30 is better in almost every aspect other then it's not advertised on american idol. The i30 is a lot more powerful car, it's safer, and you can haul more of your friends, the stereo is better, it handles better. Unless you have an SVT focus you aren't gonna be in the same ball park. It might look like an old persons car but you can make it haul@ss with a little help from JWT. They make cams and ecu upgrades. You can get exhaust from Cattmann.

D I R T Y I 3 0
11-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Infiniti rapes ford. Whats funny is the same thing happend to me! I was going to trade in my I30 for my friends piece of crap prelude cause it was stick and awesome, but now i realize its an okay car. ha maybe cuz when i got it i thought it was junk but flooring it a couple of times changed my mine. sure 199hp aint much but it rapes ford's 4 cyl. Im thinkin im gonna put a Eibach Lowering Kit on mine cuz it aint that much and i aint got too much money for performance parts or bolt ons.

zeetha
12-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Drive the infiniti until you buy what car you want.You are very lucky and you shoud be very thankful to your parents.

SPORTS CAR FIEND !!!!!!!!
01-05-2010, 03:12 AM
hey ghij666 or what ever you name is THIS IS AN INFINITI FORUM Maybe thats the reason no body responds to your pathetic war craft questions.Can you do everyone a favor and piss off...i keep seeing you all over this forum idiot.

bossbrakes
01-15-2010, 06:09 PM
BG;
You are young man who will drive a perceived old man's car. And also how can you go wrong with a free car and all the toys int it.....
But here is my advice: I am in my late 40's....
When I was a teenager,I drove the luxury car. My friends drove the Fords, and somehow we always took my car when it came time to go out on Saturday night.....
Right now I drive an I30. And make no mistake it is not an old man's car. Some of the stock specs include 0.89 G cornering force.
That rivals a Corvette. But also it is much safer than a Focus. Accelaration 0-60 in 8 seconds is no slouch.

Drop a set of lowering springs into it (even go and cut a coil of the stock ones) some decent shocks. Take the air filter out and add a cold air intake. I have done all that and more and the effect: it will hold any AUDI A6 twin turbo(250hp) at bay. When the mileage was low on the car it would run 6.5 seconds 0-60mph. One season I put a set of Pirelli Corsa race tires on it and there was no Corvette or any kind of car to corner like it.
As far as maintenance goes oil changes and that's it.
Fuel consumption is reasonable with a light foot. 30mpg.

powerfreak
01-21-2010, 07:52 PM
take the infiniti until you save up enough money to get a car you want..same with everbody ford sucks (unless its a gt and there are some super nice mustangs out there) piss poor quiality..my bro drives a taurus and its a complete piece it idles like s$%!,sounds like $h#@,handles like s@!#,and it gets more repairs than my moms camary and my dads infiniti combined...save up a good 4k or so and buy an audi b5 a4 1.8t they get crazy good gas milege,u can make them look amazing,sound amazing,and if you chip it it will b pretty fast,not to mention they handle great and the quattros are awd

Ollie3366
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Mate if im honest your better off initially with the Infinity. It WILL not go wrong, plus it bound to be a saffer bet for you a young driver. And regards MPG - over here in the UK we've basically got the Infiniti 130 but under the Nissan badge and called the QX and all these cars have fixed ratio gearboxes which means they wont go into a higher gear quickly, only when you drive it a little hard because all the while your cruisng at 40 or 45 the car is running at probably something like 3,000 RPM but if you step on it it will go up into a higher gear and the revs will drop down. You've most likley got the 3.0 V6 but this mainly applies to the 2.0 V6 but try it anyway. Drive it a little harder than you think until it goes into a gear where the engine isnt working so hard. That might help you MPG :D

97I30owner
12-30-2011, 03:18 AM
Hey i just boughth an i30 back in september prior to thqt it was a 97 taurus... take the i30. Best car ive ever bought. You have luxury mileage and they pick up and haul a** like crazy i fill my tank once a week . I Drive 26 miles to and from work daily qnd have no problems with the v6

jliner
03-31-2012, 09:21 PM
they infiniti will be a much more reliable vehicle, i would leaving the money you have been saving alone i think once you drive the infiniti you will like and realize infiniti > ford. that's low mileage for the year and has lots of options sunroof and heated seats most likely if you where to try to trade it in and get that ford it would be cloth not heated bare minimum.

3rd Infiniti
07-23-2013, 08:23 AM
i had a 99 I30T - gave it to my daughter when it had 110k miles on it - She was thrilled to get it! She was midway thru college - and all her friends were wowed. She drove it till she totaled it at 130k miles. Then she bought a 2000 I30T - drove that for a few years and loved it.
If you buy quality - you never regret it. If you buy crap - you will kick yourself. Go for the I30.