View Full Version : Should I buy a used 1996 I30 for my son?

Mollig
12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
My son currently lives in Colorado, but just accepted a position in California for his college internship. He will need to drive there & I hope the car could last him 2 years until he gets on his feet. I have found, through a trusted friend, a one-owner, excellent condition 1996 I30 with 153,000 miles. The price is great but am I handing my son a bucket of issues with this milage? I really need good advice.

i30guy
10-10-2009, 06:20 PM
great car, they all have leaky valve covers, oil pressure sending units and oil pans. Once those are fixed you are A-ok unless the cat goes.

ttsinbo1
10-14-2009, 03:50 AM
1Media sources from Wuhan Economic Development Zone yesterday said that an item of Tiangao Welding Company obtained 3.5 million Yuan major industrial revitalization and technology special support from State Development and Reform Committee. And since 2008, 120 major science and technology items in the zone haveobtained about 90 million Yuan special support from the Central Government.1

SPORTS CAR FIEND !!!!!!!!
10-15-2009, 06:35 PM
The 96 i30 and all i30s are recomended by consumer reports buying guide.I30 is highly reliable even as they age,so IF its been taken care of and the bugets tight for a few G's to be able to drive a luxury car,id say its worth it.But keep in mind it is almost 14 years old with high mileage,Infiniti matainence and service is very EXPENSIVE,I have A g35 coupe trust me.To change the spark plugs was 270 $.OFcousre you can go to anyshop for basic stuff though.Or you can go with a newer civic for guarenteed reliabilty and super low maintenece and dirt cheap price,just a thought !

lightning mobile lube
10-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I got a '97 and they can't be all that different. The only reason mine needs repair is 'cuz I, yes it was my own stupid fault, broke it! That O2 light? stripped wire. That leaky valve cover? 30 bones. Get it! Get in NOW! and Get it for YOU and not your son! He'll destroy it! Do you know all the engine in that car needs is two turbos and it's a skyline engine? Snap it up, 'cuz, yes, it's worth it!

i30guy
10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
did you end up getting it? I am selling my 00 frontier because my 96 I30 is awesome.